Holy wow! You guys, I’ve tested this one a few times and let me tell you…it is so dang good. I don’t even miss the real deal because I actually think this is the real deal, if I do say so myself.
Here is a little bit about how this recipe came to fruition. As some of you know, I was a fitness instructor for our local Fit4Mom here in Lakewood, CA and they host six week body well challenges for the Mamas in the community. I have been able to create meal plans for each one and one Mama requested a healthier lasagna. Which I happily obliged and immediately got to brainstorming concepts that didn’t include zucchini (tried it and wasn’t a huge fan to be honest). Though, if you are a fan you can totally substitute it here.
Anyway, I created it, tried it a couple of times and decided I might as well test it on the meal plan for our Body Well challenge group. I was so surprised at how much everyone loved it. Even their littles ate it up! So with that I knew it was one that I wanted to share sooner than later, and what also inspired getting my website up and running faster.
I hope you enjoy and I hope you will share this one with me on instagram when you make it! You would make my day. Find me over at @katiejakemer.
Spaghetti Squash Lasagna
- 1 Large Spaghetti Squash
- 10 Oz Roasted Garlic Hummus
- 1/2 cup Nutritional Yeast
- 1/3 cup Parmesan Cheese grated
- 1 Tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Lb. Ground Turkey or beef
- 4 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1/2 Cup Yellow Onion diced
- 1 1/2 Cup Marinara Sauce (I like Rao's) divided
- 1/2 Cup Mozzarella Cheese shredded
- 1/4 Cup Basil finely chopped
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Red Pepper Flakes optional garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut your squash in half, lengthwise. Scoop out seeds.
- Spray the squash with oil spray and season with salt and pepper.
- Lay your squash cut side down.
- Cook for approximatly 40 minuets.
Meanwhile, prepare you Lasagna Filling
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine your Garlic Hummus, Italian Seasoning, Nutriitonal Yeast, and Parmesan Cheese and mix until well combined. Set aside.
- In a large saute pan, spray pan with cooking spray, add your onion and garlic sauteeing for about 3 minuets.
- Add your ground turkey to the pan and season with garlic powder, salt, and pepper cooking meat until it is cooked through.
- Once meat is cooked, add one cup of marinara sauce and let that simmer on low heat for 5 minuets allowing flavors to combine. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- Once Squash is done in the oven, remove and set aside allowing to cool for 10 minuets.
- Scrape your squash with a fork breaking it up in to spaghetti like pieces and put them all in the hummus mixture. Mix well until combined.
- In a 9×9 casserole dish spray the bottom with oil spray. Add half of your spaghetti squash mixture to the bottom of the dish spreading it out evently. Followed by half of your meat mixture and add 1/4 cup more of the reserved marinara. Then the rest of your squash, and the last of your meat and 1/4 cup of marinara.
- Top sauce and meat with your mozzarella cheese
- Add "Lasagna" to the oven for 8-10 minuets.
- Top with basil, and optional red pepper flakes and serve.